Ever searched for an item on a Shopify store only to end up with zero search results? Most often, the Shopify store would have the item you intended to buy but, without the right keyword, you end up dropping off. This is where keyword synonyms on your Shopify store can help.
Keyword synonyms is a nifty feature that helps your store visitors discover new products, providing them with a frictionless shopping experience.
Not sure what it is? We’re giving you a closer look at keyword synonyms, how they work, how it helps, and how you can set it up on your Shopify store.
What are Keyword Synonyms?
Keyword synonyms allow you to define uncommon keywords on your Shopify store so that shoppers are shown relevant search results even when they use terms that you don’t usually use on-site.
Here’s an example of keyword synonyms on Amazon. As you can see, when a shopper searches for the term “tunic”, they can still be shown “tops” and “blouses”, ensuring they don’t drop-off due to an empty search results page.
Benefits of Keyword Synonyms
Here’s how keyword synonyms can help you boost product discoverability and get shoppers to checkout faster:
1. Show more search results to shoppers
With keyword synonyms, you wouldn’t just show products that match that exact keyword. You can also show other similar items that fall within the same category. This way, you give shoppers more options to choose from, rather than just the limited few that match the exact keyword.
For instance, if you are a fashion brand and sell a few blouses, you can also show other tops and tunics to let shoppers discover more products without making them search with different keyword variants.
2. Avoid losing shoppers to uncommon keywords
Oftentimes, shoppers might use keywords that are uncommon to your Shopify store. Keyword synonyms can mitigate the negative experience that shoppers would usually have when using an uncommon keyword.
3. Provide a frictionless search experience
Just by anticipating shoppers’ intent and filling these keyword gaps on your Shopify store, you can ensure that shoppers don’t have to constantly search with different keywords. They would instead have a frictionless experience where they would instantly be shown items they intended to search for.
How to Set Up Keyword Synonyms on your Shopify store
Convinced you need to set up keyword synonyms on your Shopify store? We’ll help you set it up, with just these 4 steps:
1. Install Searchly
Before you set up synonyms, you need an app that can help you optimize your search experience. Searchly is a Shopify search app built for this, helping you set up a better search experience with features like search filters, autocomplete, and keyword synonyms.
2. Understand which search terms show poor/zero results
You can look through your search results within your Shopify analytics dashboard to view all keywords that showed empty search results. If relevant, you can list down these keywords so that you can pair them with more relevant and common keywords.
3. Set up synonyms for these search terms
Now that you’ve identified your uncommon keywords, you can get onto the Searchly dashboard to list and pair these keywords with common keywords.
This way, when shoppers use an uncommon keyword, they will be shown results that match the common keyword that you’ve paired it with.
4. Audit your empty search results and repeat
Look through your analytics once a month to identify any other uncommon keywords and fill these keyword gaps on your Shopify store. This way, you’ll be able to ensure fewer empty search results and higher engagement.
Increase product discoverability with keyword synonyms on your Shopify store!
We hope this helped you understand the impact of keyword synonyms on your Shopify store and how it helps shoppers with product discoverability. Besides keyword synonyms, you need to ensure that you are providing an easy and frictionless search experience on-site. Shopify search apps like Searchly are built for this.
With a Shopify search app like Searchly, you can improve search experiences and in turn:
- Lower drop-offs by smoothening common friction experiences like typos and empty search pages.
- Increase customer satisfaction.
- Improve conversions by letting shoppers find what they are looking for quickly.
- Shorten the time spent searching for products.
- Faster product discovery and quickly add to cart.
So, it’s crucial to optimize it for higher conversions. If you’re just getting started, here are 6 crucial features you need on your Shopify store’s search to improve the on-site experience, lower drop-offs, and increase conversions:
- Search filters: Simplify how people narrow down their search and help them find what they want exactly by letting them add filters to their search results like price range, size, etc.
- Autosuggest: Predict and suggest keywords to shoppers while they are typing.
- Search bar suggestions: Display products and popular keywords within the search bar and help shoppers find products they want more quickly.
- Typo correction: The app learns how shoppers search and auto-corrects typos to show the right products.
- Synonyms: Define other keywords shoppers would use which are uncommon on your Shopify store to show relevant product results.
- Empty search page customization: Show product suggestions and content on an empty search page to keep customers engaged.